‘Extension is dangerous’ says Grantham council tenant

Lorraine Calvo believes an extension on her new home in Grantham is unsafe.
Lorraine Calvo believes an extension on her new home in Grantham is unsafe.
7
Have your say

A woman is demanding the district council removes a “dangerous” extension built on her home by a previous tenant.

Lorraine Calvo said she made the mistake of signing a form taking responsibility for the house in Beechcroft Road, Grantham, before viewing it, as she was living down south.

Lorraine Calvo believes an extension on her new home in Grantham is unsafe.

Lorraine Calvo believes an extension on her new home in Grantham is unsafe.

On entering her new home with her teenage daughter, she discovered a rickety extension and gazebo built out of wood.

Ms Calvo, 48, said: “As soon as I walked in I saw the state of the extension and reported it. I said I cannot be responsible for something that doesn’t look stable.

“I spoke to a structural survey bloke at the council and he said he came at the beginning of January. We started having a disagreement because he said it’s sound and there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s dangerous.”

The mother and daughter moved into the house on April 22, and since then Ms Calvo says she has made repeated unsuccessful calls to SKDC requesting that someone comes out to assess the extension with a view to taking it down.

Concerned for the safety of her pet cat, she removed part of the structure herself.

Ms Calvo said: “I’m not at all happy about the way it’s been handled.”

South Kesteven District Council’s strategic director for community and environment focus Tracey Blackwell said the previous tenant was given permission to erect the structure in January.

She added: “The current tenant accepted the tenancy which included taking on responsibility for the gazebo without viewing the property – very much against our advice at the time. We have made every effort to assist the tenant with this matter and will be happy to continue to offer advice in future.”

SKDC has now agreed to send workmen out to Ms Calvo’s home on June 25 to remove the remainder of the wooden structure.