DESPITE assurances from Health Secretary Andrew Lansley and bosses at the Queens Medical Centre, a Grantham woman has had her cancer operation cancelled for a third time.
The Journal reported last week how Gillian Moulds of Gloucester Road, Grantham, had twice had her cancer operation cancelled because of a lack of beds.
Gillian’s brother, Andrew Smith of Maplewood Drive, Grantham, took the case directly to Mr Lansley and the family received a call at the end of last week from QMC promising Gillian an NHS-paid-for op at the private Park Hospital in Nottingham this coming Saturday.
But this week Gillian received a call to say the operation had been cancelled again.
Mr Smith said: “She was absolutely devastated.”
Now the operation has been switched back to QMC and is due for Bank Holiday Monday.
Mr Smith said: “I think it is absolutely disgraceful. It will be 77 days by Monday since she was diagnosed and the Government guidelines say she should be treated within 31 days.
“We honestly don’t know whether it will go ahead on Monday. All we can do is hope and pray.
“You get treated better at the vets.”