A boisterous full council meeting has concluded this afternoon (Monday) with the approval of the budget for 2014/15.
An overwhelming majority of councillors voted in favour of budget recommendations, agreeing to freeze council tax, increase council tenants’ rent by 5.13 per cent and increase garage and service rents by 3.2 per cent.
They also agreed to:
* set a general fund of £13.185m
* maintain car parking charges
* maintain rents for market stallholders at Grantham
* increase admission to use swimming pools and sports halls, and hire equipment and the function room at The Meres Leisure Centre
* increase charges to use the South Kesteven Sports Stadium
* increase hire costs for the Guildhall Arts Centre
* maintain joining and annual collection fee for green waste bins
An amendment to the budget put forward by Coun Paul Wood to give each district councillor £500 to spend within their community was rejected, as was one put forward by Coun Charmaine Morgan to introduce two hours’ free parking in Grantham and Stamford on Saturdays.
** For full coverage of the full council meeting, including details of how the budget will affect you and the frequent outbursts and arguments between councillors, see Friday’s Journal.