DONALD and Dorothy Stewart are celebrating their diamond wedding after 60 years of happy marriage.
Dorothy, who was born in Grantham, attended the Girls’ Central School while Donald, who lived in nearby Great Ponton, attended the King’s School.
They met, as many other young engineers and telephonists of the time did, at the old Post Office.
On July 17, 1952, they were married at St Wulfram’s Church in Grantham, going on to buy their first home together in Belton Lane. They went on to have two daughters, Jane and Karen.
Although now living in Nottingham, the couple still have very close links with the Grantham area, especially with Donald still being a dedicated member of the Grantham Aviation Society based in Great Gonerby.
The couple’s main source of enjoyment during their retirement has been travelling. They have taken trips across the British Isles, driven across Mediterranean Europe and visited Thailand, Goa and Kenya as part of their golden wedding celebrations.
Donald and Dorothy plan to have a relaxing anniversary, concluding their celebrations with a large gathering of friends and family, including their daughters, sons-in-law and grandchildren, Matthew, Laura and Eleanor.