people are starting to think about turning on the heating, electric blankets and lighting the fires after several months of little or no use - please do not get complacent about these issues.
We would urge all households to ensure that the items being used for heating are well maintained, properly guarded and fit for their purpose to ensure that you stay safe and warm as the cooler weather descends upon us.
The following tips will help to stay safe in the home:
l Ensure you have a working smoke alarm installed on all levels of your home. Test your smoke alarms weekly!
l Practice an escape plan, and make sure any family/visitors know how to escape if there is a fire.
l Never leave cooking unattended and avoid cooking whilst drunk. The majority of fires start in the kitchen so this is a high risk area. Always turn off kitchen appliances when you have finished cooking.
l Electric blankets - Trading Standards recommend they have a life span of 10 years. They must be kept dry and flat at all times.
l Use torches rather than candles in a power cut.
l Keep matches and lighters away from children.
l Close your kitchen and lounge door at night.
l Don’t overload sockets - ensure only one plug per socket. Always turn off plugs when they are not in use, except those that are designed to be left on, like freezers.
l Make sure cigarettes are extinguished properly and never smoke in bed. Put it out, right out.
l And finally, in the event of fire Get Out - Stay Out and Call 999.
by Andy Ford