CYCLING: Top ‘tester’ Jim goes for two titles in one day
WITHAM Wheelers time trial supremo Jim Coleman was left with a dilemma on Sunday – whether to defend his Lincolnshire 10-mile title or contest the National 10 – so he decided to ride both!
Top ‘tester’ Jim was keen to defend his LRRA 10 title a third time and so headed out to Skegness early in the morning, to a course at Ulceby Cross.
Despite the windy conditions, Jim took the win in 20min 44sec, beating the second placed rider by almost 30 seconds. Also competing for the Wheelers were Neil Sentence 24.19, Kim Paxton 26.33, Chris Crawford 24.55 and Martin Lister who punctured.
With county victory under his belt, Jim had a five-hour window which allowed him to drive down to Sawtry, near Peterborough, to take part in the prestigious National 10-mile Time Trial Championships.
A strong head wind on the outward leg of the old A1-based course was punishing for Jim’s already tired legs but with a positive frame of mind from his early morning win, he made it to the turn knowing that the return leg would be predominantly tail wind.
Jim kept the hammer down and was pleased with his 18th place, his highest in a national time trial, with only seconds separating the top riders. Recording 21.19 for the distance, just 11 second faster would have secured him a top 10 position.
Jim will now change his focus to the British blue riband time trial event – the National 25 – which takes place in a couple of weeks.
- Ex-police cadet from Grantham who filmed himself raping a child is jailed for 16 years
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Grantham Journal Letter: ‘Poor political performance triggers cynicism’
- Grantham school bids to take an extra 100 pupils
- UPDATE: Seven-year prison term for Grantham man who slashed victim’s face with a knife
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 3 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: North west