WATER POLO: Grantham club just misses out on Midlands title
GRANTHAM Water Polo just missed out on winning the Midlands ASA Championship at Walsall on Sunday.
The competition, for players born in 1998 or after, saw them first defeat Nottingham 6-5 with goals from Gareth Lord (2), Cameron Knott (2), Giorgia Bosworth and Sam Lee.
Grantham then convincingly defeated Birmingham side Boldermere 12-0. Goals came from Lord (2), Bosworth, Knott (2), Lee (2), Dan Hammond (2), Jacob Barnett, Jonathon Birch and Oliver Walker.
The final was decided between unbeaten Grantham and Solihull. Grantham started slowly and leaked four goals in as many minutes but conceded no more before half time.
Goals in quick succession from Knott, Lord and Lee brought them back into the game. Solihull added a fifth and goals from Bosworth and Lee, and a further one from Solihull put the score 6-5 just in the West Midlands side’s favour. Solihull clinched the title with a late goal on the break.
Midlands ASA Championship runners-up Grantham Water Polo Club are from left, back - coach Dave Lord, Jonathon Birch, Sam Lee, Oliver Walker, Joe Starks and Jacob Barnett; front - Giorgia Bosworth, Dan Hammmond, Gareth Lord, Cameron Terry and Cameron Knott.
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- Grantham school bids to take an extra 100 pupils
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- UPDATE: Seven-year prison term for Grantham man who slashed victim’s face with a knife
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- District Council flag at half-mast marking death of Margaret Thatcher
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 29 mph
Wind direction: North