Nineteenth century Grantham ironmongers became a TV shop 100 years later
Looking more like a scene from the American Wild West, this photo from 1860 shows the 12 staff of the High Street ironmongers Slater & Padget.
They are pictured together with assorted rakes and forks outside, with hip-baths in the large Georgian bow window.
The shop later became Gorin’s tobacconist, and Westmoreland’s television and radio store.
Pictured, above, is Westmoreland’s shop in the same spot on the High Street which, by the 1960s, had a much less imposing frontage.
Town street was a tight fit
A Rover P6 is pictured squeezing its way down Guildhall Street back in 1976 when Barclays Bank was extending the first floor over the pavement.
It was still the heyday of renting TVs rather than buying, hence the Radio Rentals shop pictured in the background. There was also a Visionhire TV rental shop on the High Street at the time.
Roundabout was the solution . . . for a while anyway
Following on from last week’s photos of the Wharf Road/Westgate/Harlaxton Road junction, pictured here is the same area in around 1996, when the solution to traffic problems was a roundabout, before Sankt Augustin Way became linked to it.
The idea worked until the roundabout became snarled up at busy times due to vehicles queueing at the other end of Wharf Road because the traffic lights stemmed the flow of traffic.
Looking back . . .
10 YEARS AGO
- Remains of cattle slaughtered in the BSE cull were finally removed from hangars at Barkston Heath after more than 10 years in storage.
- A BBC documentary about Baroness Margaret Thatcher was set to air, following her daughter Carol around Grantham.
- Asda supermarket had already sold out of their £8 flu jabs.
25 YEARS AGO
- The Kansas Methodist Endowed Baker University offered $1m for the disused Sproxton Methodist Chapel, built in 1864. It was accepted a year later and the 25,000 stones, 19,000 clay roof tiles and church organ were transported 5,000 miles in 200 crates by boat, train and truck, with Lady Thatcher performing the dedication at its new USA home following its reconstruction.
50 YEARS AGO
- Having been on the run for four months, a sheep that escaped from Thorney Wildlife Park, Peterborough, was recaptured close to the River Witham on the east side of Manthorpe, near Grantham, having previous been spotted in Spalding.
- Kings Hotel, North Parade, was taken over by Michael and Judith Naylor, formerly proprietors of the George Hotel, Stamford.
100 YEARS AGO
- The Journal understood ‘on good authority’ that the Duke of Rutland was to sell off a good proportion of Belvoir Estate, including properties in the parishes of Hose, Goadby, Waltham, Stonesby, Stathern and Plungar, plus Bottesford and Muston.
- An Army reserve battalion private was summoned for using postage stamps twice.