The Grantham Journal’s photographer captured this scene (above) of the aftermath of a collision between a Co-op coal lorry and another truck from Peterborough, back in 1955.
With the Elvis Presley film ‘Fun in Acapulco’ screening at Grantham’s Granada cinema in February of 1964, members of local beat combo Dave Knight and The Trellions donned Mexican garb and, with the help of two teenage girl dancers (Carol Mitchell and Carol Watkin), invited patrons to try out a new dance – ‘The Acapulco’ – in the foyer of the theatre.
The Black Dog has not always been the only hostelry in Grantham’s Watergate – and not even the only one with the ‘Dog’ moniker.
With the Grantham Journal on the cusp of a move to new premises this year, we thought we would look back to our office’s long-standing position on the High Street.
Following on from previous weeks’ pictures of the old Vere Court area, here is another shot taken from Broad Street showing the entrance to what was one of the poorest areas of Grantham.
This photo from 1953 shows Mayor Ernest Hardy and borough engineer J. Livesby inspecting newly installed benches in the ‘paddock’, also known as Stonebridge Close, off Avenue Road.
Journal reader Robert Geeson brought this old photo of his grandmother celloist Florance Grant (known by nickname Jimmy) pictured in September 1920 in a musical trio with pianist Ada Maltby and violinist Willie Thompson.