Once there was a Grantham pub called the 'Swan'
This is a photo of a painting by John Frederick Herring, created in the first half of the 1800s and featuring the old ‘Swan’ hostelry in Watergate, Grantham.
According to Journal archives, the only known record of such a ‘Swan’ public house was the Swan and Salmon, which in 1800 became the White Swan.
It was listed at that time as 15 Watergate (the site of Kwik Fit now), the road having since been renumbered.
More by this authorJohn Burgess
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)