WWII Civil Defence was based in Grantham cellars
The late Evelyn Cupit (née Clayton) was the first full time member of the Civil Defence during WWII in Grantham.
She spent six years during 1939-45 as a member of the Repost and Control Centre which was based in the cellars of the town hall.
During an air raid, they were responsible for calling together all the services needed for as long as the raid lasted.
More by this authorJohn Burgess