Award-winning restaurant in Grantham has closed after three years
A popular restaurant in Grantham that employed 11 members of staff has closed after more than three years.
World Buffet, situated in The George Centre, served up meals for the final time on Sunday.
Earlier this year, the restaurant was awarded a Certificate of Excellence by the travel website TripAdvisor based on customers’ reviews.
But owner Arri Bharwani says that his ongoing ill health and a shortage of staff had forced him to close the business.
He said: “I am very sad to have shut the business. I didn’t want to let it go. We weren’t making millions but we were doing okay.
“I tried to keep it going for a long time but it was getting so difficult.
He added: “The customers have been great and the team at The George Centre have been wonderful over the years.
“But my ill health and the difficulties I found trying to get replacement staff made me decide I would have to close.
“I have found that many of my staff have chosen to return home to China or India.
“They are impossible to replace and the second generations do not want to work in catering.
“They want jobs in accountancy or IT.
“But it is a problem that many restaurants like mine are facing.”
He added: “The closure has nothing to do with rent or the fact the centre has new owners.”
Mr Bharwani said the premises would be shut until the end of the month.
It will then be taken over by another company that intends to operate a carvery.
The new eaterie will be called King George’s Carvery and will employ most of the current staff.
Seven members of staff at World Buffet are likely to be re-employed in the new restaurant and are currently on two weeks’ leave.
Mr Bharwani has business links with Grantham stretching over eight years.
He opened China88 on the corner of London Road and St Catherine’s Road in 2008 and ran it for three years.
The business was moved to Spalding for a short time before Mr Bharwani returned to Grantham with World Buffet.