The results of a survey on independent retailers carried out by a Grantham businessman have been revealed.
As reported in the Journal, David Charles, owner of Grantham Computer Centre in Guildhall Street, and helpers questioned shoppers in the town to find out their opinions on independents and their worth.
The aim of the survey was to find out why there is a decline in shopping with the town’s independent retailers and identify ways to tackle it.
The survey of 108 shoppers showed that 69 per cent were concerned about an increasing dominance of supermarkets and big chains at the expense of local independent retailers.
They also showed:
* 50 per cent prefer to shop at local independent retailers than at supermarkets/major high street chains, 24 per cent prefer to shop at supermarkets/major high street chains and 26 per cent expressed no preference.
* 40 per cent shop more at supermarkets/major high street chains than independents, 39 per cent shop more at independent retailers and 21 per cent shop equally between the two.
* Average number of times people shop from independent retailers is 2.3 times/week.
* Average number of times people shop from supermarkets/major high street chains is 2.4 times/week.
* The three reasons people most value local independent retailers are that they: care more about customers and customer satisfaction - 85.2 per cent; are more important to the local community - 81.5 per cent; offer a greater level of expertise and advice - 81.5 per cent.
* The top three factors that would make people support local independent retailers more than they do are: cheaper/more price competitive - 23 per cent; more convenient/accessible/better parking, longer opening hours 14 per cent; more shops/choice/variety, greater availability - 11 per cent.
David said the survey helped identify key issues.
He added: “The main message was better parking, longer opening hours and more choice. Also we need to dispel the myth that multiples are cheaper; they are not.
“Now is the chance for independent retailers to join forces and help each other. For more information speak to me at Grantham Computer Centre.”