Chip pan fires cause one fifth of all house fires each year.
Chip pan fires cause more injuries than any other domestic fires in the UK. In 2010 there were 9,471 chip pan fires in which 3364 people were injured and 33 people were killed.
Nearly 20 people are killed or injured every day in accidental fires that start in their kitchen.
The most common type of fire is caused by deep fat frying. 4,000 people are injured in these kinds of fires each year.
In a three month period, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue attended 95 kitchen fires. That’s an average of one every other day across the county!
The most important point about cooking is to avoid being distracted. Most kitchen fires occur when people leave things unattended:
If you’re called away from the cooker - by the phone, say, or by someone at the door - take pans off the heat. It’s the easy to forget about them.
Don’t cook if you’re affected by alcohol or prescription drugs.
Turn saucepan handles so they don’t stick out (and aren’t over another ring).
Keep the oven door shut.
Don’t put oven gloves or tea towels down on the cooker after you’ve used them
Always clean the grill pan after using it.
IN THE EVENT OF YOUR CHIP PAN CATCHING FIRE:
Don’t take any risks. Turn off the heat if it’s safe to do so.
Leave the room, close the door, get out of the building and dial 999.
Never throw water over it!
Don’t tackle the fire yourself.
by Andy Ford