Home   News   Article

Citizens Advice Grantham: ‘Check for mistakes before you think of paying this £2k bill’

Grantham Citizens Advice
Grantham Citizens Advice

Question: ‘I’ve just received a £2,000 gas and electricity bill for payments going back two years. I’m not sure if I owe this money - what should I do?’

Answer: ‘The first thing you should do is work out whether your energy supplier has made a mistake. Your supplier may have the wrong meter reading or your meter may not be working properly. They may even have sent you someone else’s bill. Take a meter reading then call your supplier to discuss your bill.

If your supplier hasn’t sent you an accurate bill for more than a year, they shouldn’t ask you to pay for more than 12 months’ usage. This is the ‘back-billing’ principle, which applies to all suppliers.

If you think your supplier is at fault but they are still trying to charge you for energy used more than 12 months ago, make a complaint. They should look into your case and provide an explanation.

You may find that your supplier has billed you for the right amount and they are not at fault, particularly if you haven’t provided regular or accurate meter readings. In this case you will probably have to pay some or all of the money. If you don’t think you can afford to pay all at once, ask for a repayment plan. Tell your supplier how much you can afford each month. Be ready to give details of your income and regular spending. You may find it helpful to send them this information in writing too.

If you feel that you need further advice or help negotiating with your supplier, get in touch with the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 040 506.’


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More