Civic Society column: 200 pupils were taught in one room at The British School in Grantham
The British School in Grantham opened its doors in 1835.
It stood on the corner of Brook Street and Castlegate, on part of the site now occupied by The King’s School.
When it opened, it had 200 pupils of both sexes up to the age of 11 or 12, taught in one room.
By 1856, the numbers attending the British School had diminished to almost extinction. A vacancy occurred for the post of Headmaster, and Mr John Box, a young man of 24, was appointed. He left before 1871, and by 1895 the school had closed.
The Governors of Grantham Grammar School bought the building at auction for £525 and in 1898, the lower floor was converted to a science laboratory at a cost of £70 4s 3d.
The building was demolished when the new Grammar School buildings were erected in 1904.