Attacker left victim disabled for life

Have your say

A MAN carried out a series of attacks on his mother’s estranged partner within hours of each other, leaving his victim with “catastrophic” injuries, Lincoln Crown Court was told.

Kerry Byrne inflicted the life-threatening injuries to Shane Stafford after the pair met by chance at the home of Julie Byrne at Great Gonerby near Grantham.

Caroline Bradley, prosecuting, said Mr Stafford was at the Blue Pig pub in Grantham earlier in the evening before arriving at the property in Green Street, Great Gonerby, late at night.

Byrne was also at the house visiting his mother and violence quickly erupted outside the property with Byrne striking Mr Stafford to the face and then kicking him.

The following morning Byrne again attacked Mr Stafford and then returned to assault him a third time 20 minutes later.

As a result of the final assault Mr Stafford fell striking his head on the ground resulting in his most serious injuries.

He was left with severe head injuries as well as a fractured eye socket, a fractured nose and other facial injuries.

Miss Bradley said: “Mr Stafford suffered life-threatening injuries. It is highly likely that he will remain neurologically disabled and will need constant care in the future.

“There is no doubt that it was the actions of Byrne that caused the injuries. Mr Stafford sustained catastrophic injuries.”

Miss Bradley added: “Neither Kerry Byrne or Shane Stafford should have been at Julie Byrne’s home address.

Kerry Byrne was the subject of a curfew which should have restricted him to being in Lincoln.

“Shane Stafford was the subject of bail conditions and a restraining order not to be at that address, but it seems he was often sleeping in the garage.”

She told the court there was a background of animosity between the men as a result of abuse by Mr Stafford towards Julie Byrne.

Kerry Byrne had also previously admitted that he could not control his anger and “went straight to boiling point”.

Byrne, 23, of Lindum Avenue, Lincoln, denied inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent to Shane Stafford on 19 June 2010 but changed his plea to guilty shortly after the start of his trial in front of a jury.

He admitted two further charges of inflicting grievous bodily harm to Mr Stafford on the same date.

Judge Sean Morris adjourned sentence for the preparation of a probation report but told Byrne “a custodial sentence is inevitable.”

Grantham CID’s Detective inspector Keith Blakey, who led the investigation into the attack, told the Journal Mr stafford remains seriously ill as a result of the attack.

He said: “Mr Stafford is in a specialist neurological hospital.

“The prospects of him making a full recovery are nil. It is believed he will require care for the rest of his life.”