SIX-time champion jockey Kieren Fallon escaped a driving ban on Friday after claiming disqualification would cause him exceptional hardship.
Fallon, 45, told the 40-minute hearing that he was not driving the vehicle when it was clocked being driven at 81mph in a 70mph section of the A1 near Barrowby, on 1 May last year.
Representing himself, he told Lincoln Magistrates he is no longer famous and said the state of the racing industry is such that he could not afford to employ a full-time driver.
Fallon, of Bury Road, Newmarket, was convicted in his absence at an earlier hearing of failing to inform police the name of a driver caught in a speeding car registered to the jockey.
He Fallon said “I wasn’t the driver. I had a driver for a week because I was going to Scotland. We had his name and date of birth but didn’t have his address. That was the mix up.”
The jockey said he pays £350 a week to employ a part-time driver who takes him to long distance race meetings but said he could not afford to pay a full-time driver.
“I start working out at 5am. Sometimes the last race is 9.30 at night. In our job it’s seven days a week. It can be very difficult. I couldn’t afford to employ somebody full-time. Not with the state that racing is in at the moment.”
Fallon was asked by prosecutor Jim Clare “Being in your position and how famous you are, you’re saying you can’t employ a driver?”
The jockey responded “was famous”.
Fallon said he also needed a licence so that he could collect his children at weekends.
Magistrates decided to allow Fallon to continue driving and did not impose a ban on the basis that it would cause exceptional hardship.
Fallon’s licence was endorsed with six penalty points which means he now has 15 points. He was fined £2,770 and ordered to pay £150 prosecution costs plus a £15 victim surcharge.