Grantham court: Assault followed argument in social club

Court news.
Court news.
Have your say

A man grabbed his partner by the throat in the street after they had argued in a social club.

Lee Russell Gray, 31, of Wallwork Mews, Grantham, admitted assaulting his partner in Great Gonerby on October 24.

Prosecuting Shelly Wilson said Gray and his victim had been in a relationship for a couple of years and they had a baby. The victim had an older children from another relationship. On the day of the she picked Gray up from work and noticed he had been drinking. They argued at home and he left to go to the pub.

Mrs Wilson said the victim then left her home with her baby and older child and 12-year-old niece. They walked past the pub and saw Gray at the bar. They went on to the social club where a number of friends were present.

Later on Gray entered the club and asked his partner for the door keys. There was an argument and he threw the keys on the floor before leaving.

The court heard Gray’s partner left the club with the children and friends at the end of the evening. In the street Gray was seen to run up to her and grab her by the throat She described it as “painful”. He was pulled away and ran off. The victim headed home and rounding the corner of her street Gray appeared again and there was an exchange of words. The victim called the police and said she could see red marks on her throat where she had been grabbed.

Mrs Wilson said Gray accepted he grabbed her by the throat after comments were made about his mother. He accepted his behaviour was unacceptable but did not realise how much force he had used on her neck.

The court was told the couple had split up several times and had only been back together a week before this incident happened. The victim had said she did not want a restraining order made against Gray and he had not been in touch since he was given police bail.

Bill Fraser, defending, asked the magistrates to give Gray full credit for an early guilty plea and for giving himself up to police.

Mr Fraser said Gray had suffered scratches to his face but that had not been mentioned by police in the statement. He also said that the red mark on the victim’s neck measured the size of a thmb print and not a hand. His cliehnt also claimed he had not held the victim for 30 seconds as had been suggested but only a couple of seconds.

Mr Fraser said: “He is very embarrassed and accepts he had too much to drink. He says she (the victim) had more to drink than usual. He has apologised for this incident and it’s notable that (the victim) does not ask for a restraining order.”

Magistrates ordered a report and adjourned the case until December 1. Gray was given bail on condition he did not contact the victim or go to her address and lived at his Grantham address.