Grantham court: Factory worker stole electrical items

Send your news to the Journal. E-mail:
Send your news to the Journal. E-mail:
Have your say

A young factory worker broke into the house of somebody he knew and stole electrical items and DVDs.

Billy Jake Wright, 20, of Harrowby Road, Grantham, admitted the burglary of a house when he appeared before Grantham magistrates on Monday.

They decided to send the case to crown court after hearing of Wright’s previous convictions and the circumstances of the offence.

Prosecuting, Shelley Wilson told the court that on November 5 police received reports of a window having been smashed at a house in Belmont Grove, Grantham. The owner of the house was on holiday.

Traces of blood were found where the break-in had happened and this was traced back to Wright.

Mrs Wilson said Wright was arrested and he handed over some of the items to the police. He fully admitted the offence and told police that he had gone to the house intending to pick up some clothes.

He said he and another person had gone to the property, had seen items in the house and had decided to break in.

Wright picked up a pole and smashed the bathroom window. He stole items from around the house which included a television, a Freeview box, a camera and 20 DVDs, but denied stealing a mobile phone and any more DVDs. The court heard that Wright found the items to be of little second-hand value.

The court was told Wright had previous convictions for non-domstic burglaries and was currently under a community order.

Rob Arthur, defending, said the fact that Wright had given some of the property back “shows a significant element of remorse”.

He said on the day of the offence Wright had taken the drug MCAT.

Mr Arthur added: “He has offered his apologies and compensation. It was a rather unsophisticated attempt at burglary, breaking in through the bathroom window, crawling through it and leaving the blood trail.”

Wright was bailed on condition that he did not contact a named witness or go to the address in Belmont Grove. The date of sentencing at crown court has yet to be decided.