Grantham court: Father assaulted his former partner

Have your say

The father of a five-month-old child assaulted his partner only days after they split up.

Louis Michael Kidd, 26, of Harrowby Road, Grantham, admitted criminal damage and common assault. Jim Clare, prosecuting, said the couple had been together for 18 months but had broken up a few weeks ago when Kidd’s partner threw him out and he went to stay with his parents.

Mr Clare told the court that Kidd’s partner had said on February 23 she was in her kitchen when she saw him at their front door.

They started arguing and Kidd kicked the door several times. His father was due to pick up the child and when he arrived at the house he said it was all right to open the door, but when she opened it a few inches Kidd returned and started pushing it. There was a dent in the door and cracks in the panel around the window. Later that evening she received abusive text messages from Kidd calling her a “s***” and saying “you will pay”. As a result she got a girlfriend to stay over at her address.

That night Kidd’s partner and her friend stayed in the same room and the next day they were woken to find Kidd in the house. She said he was stood at the bedroom door being very abusive, calling her a “slag” and a “w****”. She claimed he grabbed her hand, pulled her out of bed and threw her against the wall. Her friend shouted to him so he would know his partner was not sleeping with another man.

Rory Macmillan, defending, said the couple had argued over how their daughter should be cared for. He said she had suffered from post-natal depression and he was travelling away a lot before being laid off work. He and his father had gone to the house together, but when Kidd knocked on the door she told him to go away or she would call the police. Kidd claimed that he had received abusive texts from his partner. The court heard that she had sent far more texts and they were more abusive than his.

Mr Macmillan said when Kidd went to the house he used a key to get in with the intention of getting some sterilised bottles for his daughter. In the bedroom he pulled at the duvet and she fell out of bed and on to the floor. He swiped at her but did not remember if there was contact.

The bench called for a pre-sentence report and adjourned the case until April 16. Kidd was bailed on condition he did not contact his partner and did not go to a named address in Grantham.