Grantham court: Man in domestic violence case arrested at airport

Send your news to the Journal. E-mail:
Send your news to the Journal. E-mail:
Have your say

Relief was audible when prisoner Adam Kecka heard his three-month jail sentence was to be suspended.

Kecka, a Polish national with no fixed address in the UK, was arrested on Sunday as he flew into East Midlands Airport from Poland.

There was a warrant out for his arrest after he left the country last year while a court case involving domestic violence was ongoing.

Magistrates heard how Kecka, 41, first appeared in the court on May 9 last year, where he pleaded guilty to three counts of assault on his wife.

Magistrates had adjourned the hearing while a probation report was carried out.

It was again adjourned on June 15 as the report was not complete, and on the next hearing date Kecka failed to show up and the warrant was issued.

The court heard on Monday how Kecka left his wife of 18 years and three children in Grantham to move to Worksop last year.

Then on November 12 he showed up at their home unexpectedly while drunk and demanded the keys to his wife’s car.

She refused and so he hit her with the back of his hand across the face and pulled her hair towards the ground.

Shelley Wilson, prosecuting, said: “There was a scuffle during which she tried to fight him off and in doing so scratched the top of his head.

“This caused him to stop long enough to grab her mobile phone and contact her son.

“He arrived to try and assist his mother and at that point, in front of the son, the defendant assaulted his wife again, grabbing her left wrist and twisting it hard to cause pain, and again struck her in the face.

“The son tried to pull him away but he said ‘look at my face, I will do the same to you’, at which point he lashed out and scratched his wife in the face.”

Kecka then left the house only to return with a bottle of vodka, which his wife and son tried to hide from him.

Kecka hit his wife again, this time across the chin.

It was not until a further assault at a later date that the wife called police.

Officers saw a large black bruise under her right eye and two scratches to her right cheek.

During police interview, Kecka told officers that his wife tried to attack him but he admitted three assaults later in court.

Kecka, who has a previous conviction in the UK for failing to provide a specimen for analysis and assaulting a police officer, has been seven months sober following an alcohol problem, said defence solicitor Rory Macmillan.

He added: “This was the root of his unacceptable behaviour and led to the assaults on his wife.”

He went on to say: “He sees what he has lost in terms of a family life and wants to put it right.”

Mr Macmillan told the court that Kecka, his wife and children holidayed together in Poland this summer at the request of his wife and that she regularly calls him and wishes to retract her complaint of last year.

Magistrates told Kecka he had shown a “complete disregard for the rule of law” and sentenced him to 12 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months. He was also ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £20 victim surcharge.