Grantham court: Man lashed out because he was being wound up

Court News.
Court News.
Have your say

Two men with a “long-running history” between them ended up being separated by police after one was punched.

Jason Damien Lee Auckland, 20, of Canberra Crescent, Grantham, admitted using abusive or insulting words or behaviour towards another man on February 16. He also admitted breaching a conditional discharge imposed in July last year for being drunk and disorderly.

Prosecuting, Shelley Wilson told the court the police were dealing with a number of incidents in Market Place, Grantham, at 3.25am on February 16. Auckland was involved and had to be separated from another man with whom he was rolling and grappling on the floor. Auckland was taken aside and remained verbally abusive. He was arrested and taken into custody.

Mrs Wilson said that it appeared Auckland was the main aggressor after looking at CCTV pictures. He was seen to get out of a taxi and then run over and punch the victim. She said there had been long-standing issues between Auckland and the other man over a former girlfriend. Auckland said the other man was winding him up.

Rob Arthur, defending, said the victim lived on the same estate as Auckland and there had been a long-running history between the two since they were teenagers. Police initially intended to give Auckland a notice to disperse. He had got into a taxi but said the other man started to wind him up from outside the vehicle and he lost his self-control. He got out and he struck the victim.

Mr Arthur said: “He did express remorse in a statement to police. He says he apologises for his behaviour and it should not have happened.”

The court heard that Auckland had a number of similar matters against him but all but one had occurred in the youth court.

After reading a probation report on Auckland, magistrates issued a community order against him including 12 months of supervision, 25 sessions of the Resolve programme, and 40 hours of unpaid work. He was also ordered to pay £85 and a victim surcharge of £60. No separate penalty was made for the the breach of bail conditions.