Grantham court: Mum and daughter assaulted woman on New year’s Day

Send your news to the Journal. E-mail:
Send your news to the Journal. E-mail:
Have your say

A mother and her daughter attacked a woman in Grantham in the early hours of New Year’s Day as they queued to get into a club.

Joanne Elizabeth Tennick, 46, of Stour Court, Grantham, and Terri-Ann Lee, 24, of Beck Gardens, Grantham, both admitted assault in Westgate.

Prosecuting, Daniel Pietryka told the court that the assault happened at 5am. Some comments had been posted on Facebook which had annoyed the defendants and this had resulted in an argument. The victim said one of the defendants then clawed her fingers down her face causing scratches. The victim then remembered lying on the floor, trying to protect her head from a “rain of kicks”. She recalled raising her arms around her head and at least three kicks were aimed at her face and head.

Mr Pietryka said Tennick claimed she acted in self-defence and she had been assaulted by the victim. Lee said she had received a lot of abuse outside the RaRa bar and admitted lashing out at the victim because she could not take it any more. The victim was taken to hospital with scratches and grazing to her face.

Mr Pietryka said Tennick had been sentenced to 30 months in prison for wounding and was released in 2010. Lee was given a four month prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, on 2010 for affray.

Defending, Rory Macmillan said there was background to the New Year’s Day incident. Two years earlier the son of the victim had made a pass at Lee which she had rejected. Later there were derogatory posts about Lee on Facebook.

On New Year’s Eve, Tennick had been at her other daughter’s party and had had a lot ot drink. She went into town with Lee and they were in a queue outside a club when the victim started walking up and down the line making derogatory remarks to them. Tennick reacted by hitting her and the next thing she remembered was being put into a taxi and seeing daughter Terri-Ann being spoken to by police. Mr Macmillan said: “She has had a lot of abuse from the victim’s family but she has ignored it.”

Mr Macmillan said Lee was single with a two-year-old son. He said she had rejected the pass made at her by the victim’s son and had told his girlfriend. After this she had to go and stay at her mother’s address and later she moved out of her flat in February. On New Year’s Eve she also reacted to the remarks made by the victim and hit her.

Mr Macmillan said: “She wishes she had reacted differently. She is very sorry for her behaviour. She says she very rarely goes out and stays in.”

Mr Macmillan said Tennick and Lee could not remember kicking the victim but did not dispute the evidence.

Magistrates adjourned the case until April 14 for probation reports. Tennick and Lee were given bail on condition they did not contact the victim.