Grantham court: Teenager jailed for 12 weeks after attacking girlfriend

Send your news to the Journal. E-mail:
Send your news to the Journal. E-mail:
Have your say

A Grantham teenager was sent to prison for 12 weeks after breaching a suspended sentence order by assaulting his girlfriend.

Jordan Hartley, 19, of Kestrel Court, Grantham, admitted failing to comply with the order and a common assault on a woman in Sleaford on January 2.

Prosecuting, Marie Stace told Grantham magistrates that Hartley had been in a relationship with the victim for three years and it had become “problematic”.

Hartley had problems controlling his anger and had been violent, but his girlfriend had not reported it becuase he had cried and made her feel bad. He was “controlling and jealous”, she said.

Hartley stayed with his girlfriend over the New Year and on January 2 they had gone to the Co-op in Lincoln Road to buy cigarettes. Outside the store he spat in her face and called her a “slag” because he said a male had stared at her from a passing car.

They walked on and in Jubilee Grove he spat in her face again and walked towards her house.

In Almond Walk he lifted her up by her neck and was shouting close to her face. The girlfriend said Hartley was “very intimidating” and spat at her again. She said he hit her in the face but she was not sure what with. She lost her balance and fell in a puddle.

At the house she shut the door on Hartley and he asked for his clothes and bag which she gave to him and he spat at her again. She was so upset at being spat at she threw a bowl at him and then rang the police. She suffered grazing to her hip and knee and had a sore face.

The girlfriend said she still loved Hartley but did not see a future for them. Hartley denied trying to strangle her or grab her by the neck.

The court was told that Hartley had breached a community order given for an offence of grievous bodily harm and he was resentence to 12 weeks custody, suspended for 12 months in November.

Defending Rob Arthur said the relationship between Hartley and his girlfriend was volatile. He had completed 128 hours of the 200 hours of unpaid work required by the community order, but was resigned to going to prison after the assault.

Mr Arthur said Hartley has “stuck his head in the sand and had given up hope of not going to prison”.

The magistrates activated the suspended sentence and sent Hartley to prison for six weeks.

He was sentence to another six weeks, to be served consecutively, for the assault. They also imposed a restraining order on Hartley to prevent him from making any kind of contact with the victim for 12 months.