Jail for Grantham man caught with bags of cocaine

Follow the Journal on Twitter: @GranthamJournal
Follow the Journal on Twitter: @GranthamJournal
Share this article
Have your say

A judge has ordered £1,335 to be confiscated from a Grantham man who was caught with a haul of cocaine after trying to run away from the police.

Lee Makemson, 28, was jailed for two years in June after police spotted him in his car near Dysart Park.

A proceeds of crime hearing at Lincoln Crown Court was told Makemson had made a benefit of £9,882 from his criminal activity.

The hearing was told Makemson had available assets of £1,335 which was mainly cash seized by the police following his arrest.

Lincoln Crown Court heard police had briefly lost sight of Makemson’s car but found it empty in nearby Edward Street.

An officer saw Makemson running away from the vehicle with his left hand in his jacket pocket and something apparently being discarded.

Makemson stopped and told the officer: “I’ve not got any drugs, I ran because there is no insurance on the car.”

But officers found two clear bags containing a white powder just 20 metres away. They were later found to contain 62 grams of cocaine with a purity of between 20 and 22 per cent.

Police experts estimated the value of the drugs if not separated in to street deals as £2,682.

Officers searched Makemson’s home and found a set of digital scales hidden under stones in the garden. An envelope containing £1,000 in cash and a further £180 was also found.

During interview Makemson denied the £1,000 was his and claimed the £180 came from a job he had done.

The court heard Makemson had a previous police caution for possessing cannabis with intent to supply in 2008.

Makemson, of New Beacon Road, Grantham, later admitted possessing cocaine with intent to supply after being stopped on December 31, 2011.

In mitigation, the court was told Makemson was a father-of-two who had taken responsibility for his six-year-old daughter after his former partner suffered ill health.

Judge Sean Morris made a confiscation order in the sum of £1,335 and ordered destruction of the drugs.