Pair jailed for 20 years after attacking and robbing man in his Grantham home

Ryan Lenton and Thomas Brown
Ryan Lenton and Thomas Brown
Have your say

Two intruders who threatened to kill a Grantham man during a night-time robbery in his own home were today (Thursday) jailed for a total of 20 years.

Thomas Brown, 28, and Ryan Lenton, 21, were each jailed for 10 years after they admitted robbing their terrified victim at his home in Manthorpe Road.

Lincoln Crown Court heard how the man, who lived alone, was struck on the head with a beer bottle after he heard the sound of knocking and answered his door at 3am.

The pair walked him around his home and forced him to open drawers as they looked for property to steal, the court was told.

Stephen Lowne, prosecuting, said: “One of the men took his bank card but returned a few minutes later saying he only had £9 in his account.

“Threats were made and he was told they would be back and kill him if he went to the police.”

The two men escaped with a laptop valued at £350, a £70 hard drive, a television worth £180, around £60 in cash, a £30 pair of shoes and an ornamental boomerang.

Mr Lowne added: “This was a sustained incident of about an hour with two men present.”

The court heard how the victim had only recently moved to his new home from the Barrowby area and lived alone.

In mitigation the court was told Lenton had spent time looking after his children while living with his mother but had been remanded in prison since the robbery. The court heard both men had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity.

Lenton and Brown, both of no fixed address, admitted the robbery which happened on August 1, last year.

Passing sentence Judge Michael Heath said there had to be an element of deterrent in his sentence to protect the public.

Judge Heath told the men: “This robbery was carried out at 3am. The unfortunate victim was at home where he lived on his own.

“He opened the door to knocking and was immediately struck by a glass bottle. He was forced to walk around his home, badly beaten, the whole incident lasted an hour.”

Judge Heath added: “He was threatened with death. This must have been the most dreadful experience for that gentleman in the privacy of his own home.”