Home   News   Article

Deputy mayor standing as independent district council candidate in Harrowby

Deputy mayor Bruce Wells.
Deputy mayor Bruce Wells.

The deputy mayor of Grantham has made the “heart-wrenching decision” to go independent after being deselected as a Labour candidate.

Coun Bruce Wells has lived in Harrowby for more than 40 years, and represented the ward as a Labour district councillor since 2011.

However, last month he was deselected as a district council candidate by ward Labour party members, along with mayor Ian Selby.

This week Coun Wells revealed that he will instead stand as an independent candidate for the Harrowby ward in the forthcoming South Kesteven District Council elections.

Revealing his decision to the Journal, Coun Wells said: “After a lot of soul-searching, I have decided to stand as an independent candidate for the Harrowby ward. I have lived in Harrowby for 44 years, and have a lot of friends there and residents who I still want to represent.”

He added: “It is people in Harrowby who have been talking to me about it and saying that it is Labour’s loss, and saying, ‘We don’t like it – it is dirty politics’.

“I’ve got to feel that I’m doing it for the right reasons. I want to help the people of Harrowby as I have done as a district councillor for the past four years.”

His decision comes as Coun Selby also announced this week that he will be running as an independent candidate in both the Harrowby ward and in the parliamentary election.

Coun Wells added: “It was a heart-wrenching decision. But I know that if I didn’t stand at all, I couldn’t become a charter trustee, and then I couldn’t become mayor of Grantham.”


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More