Driver jailed after knocking Bingham boy off his bike and leaving him for dead
A driver who knocked a 14-year-old boy off his bike and then left him for dead has been jailed for three years and four months.
Jack Archer was killed when the pedal cycle he was riding collided with a car in Chapel Lane, Bingham, at around 10pm on Monday, July 25, 2016.
The driver of the car, Steven Mills, was overtaking Jack when the collision happened.
Instead of stopping to see if he was alright or calling emergency services, the 29-year-old, of Closes Side Lane, East Bridgford, fled and set fire to his car, destroying all the evidence.
He then handed himself into Carlton Police Station around three-and-a-half hours later.
Jack had been fatally injured and died at the scene.
Today (Friday) at Nottingham Crown Court, Mills was sentenced to 22 months for causing death by careless driving and 18 months for an act intending to pervert the course of justice which are to be served consecutively. He was also banned from driving for four years and six months.
He had pleaded guilty to the offences on March 23.
Detective Sergeant Adam Cooper, from Nottinghamshire Police’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: “This case highlights the need for motorists to give cyclists suitable amount of space when overtaking. Steven Mills allowed hardly any room for his manoeuvre and then left Jack fatally injured in the verge of the road. The fact that he didn’t stop to check on him and then destroyed the evidence is absolutely unforgiveable and has left his family distraught.
“I would like to thank Jack’s family for their bravery and patience in what has been a long wait for the conclusion of the investigation.
“I would like to thank all of the officers involved for their tireless work, from those who first attended through to the Collision Investigation Team. They had a particularly difficult job considering the circumstances but managed to bring the case through to prosecution.”
Jack’s family are said to be thankful that they can finally begin to put the case behind them and grieve their tragic loss. They have asked for privacy at this time but released this tribute to him: “Our beloved Jack was a handsome, vibrant and enthusiastic young man with an enviable passion for life. He had a promising future ahead of him with the constant loving support of his adoring family.
“Jack’s magnetic personality shone wherever he went along with his engaging sense of humour. The world has lost a bright star of the future and as a family we will never recover from losing our irreplaceable, incomparable, incredible Jack. To consider the future without him is simply unbearable for us all.
“Jack was a free spirit always true to himself, never frightened of standing up for others or for what he believed in.
“For his life to be cut short in such a brutal way is a huge injustice to him and no sentence will ever compensate for that. He had so much ahead of him which has now been lost because of a senseless act of carelessness and lack of compassion.
“His loss is felt by all who were lucky enough to have known him, missed daily by all his friends and family alike who are struggling to come to terms with what has happened.
“We would like to thank all those who have supported, cared for and been alongside us through the past 10 months. It means more to us than words can say through the most devastating time.
“Finally the last word must be for our dear son. We love you and will always love and keep your memory alive forever. You will never be forgotten, your smile will never fade and your light will continue to shine for eternity.”