Fire safety talk for Grantham Stroke Club members
Members of Grantham Stroke club visited the town’s fire station on Thursday to learn about home safety – with some even having a go with a hose.
They received guidance on how to make their homes safe and what action to take in the event of a fire.
After a safety talk, they were then given a guided tour of the station, shown the fire appliances and told about the modern role of the fire and rescue service.
Blue Watch crew manager Peter Lake added: “There has also been focus on electrical safety, as nationally this is something that has caused many fires with an emphasis on faulty chargers or leads and overloaded electrical sockets.”
The trip was led by Jacky Elvy, treasurer of the stroke club.
She told the Journal: “The members thoroughly enjoyed it. Some had a go on a fire hose which they thought was great.
“Afterwards, we went to The Farrier for lunch.”
Stroke club members, who are aged between late 40s to early 90s, meet fortnightly on Thursdays at Grantham Bowling Club, between 10am and 2pm. They often enjoy trips out, as well as speakers at meetings.
Jacky describes it as a “friendly and lively” group of people, open to anyone who has had a stroke and their carers and helpers.
For more information on the club, call her on 01400 250407.
For home safety advice, visit www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/lincolnshire-fire-and- rescue/safety/home-safety