Home   News   Article

Grantham care home criticised after man, 98, falls from window




Belvoir House Care Home, Grantham.
Belvoir House Care Home, Grantham.

A care home has been told to improve after a 98-year-old resident fell from a first floor window and later died in hospital.

Kenneth Snell opened a window at the Belvoir House Care Home in Brownlow Street and tried to lower himself down because he ‘wanted to go home’. He was taken to Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham, but later died.

A report by the Care Quality Commission (CQC), the healthcare regulator, took place following the incident in November last year.

The report states: “The concerns related to an accident that had occurred when a person who lived in the service had opened a window that was located above the ground floor level. They had fallen out and been injured.”

The report says the care home requires improvement with regards to safety and leadership.

An inquest into Mr Snell’s death is due to take place later this year.

The manager of the home, Thomas Lovell, said: “We were happy with the report and we apologised. We went down the right channels and the incident was investigated fully. We followed the correct control measures.

“Mr Snell did not pass away from the accident. It was later on in hospital. We have put all the necessary measures in place so this does not happen again.

“The family was made aware the night it happened. The family said Mr Snell was a strong character. He wanted to get out and go home. He tried to lower himself out of the window. They were not lockable at the time.”

Mr Lovell said the home had learned lessons from the incident. The CQC will visit the home again to make sure the correct measures are being followed.

During the CQC inspection in February it was discovered that the window out of which Mr Snell fell had been fitted with a safety latch which did not comply with national guidance.

The report said the latch was not lockable and the window could be opened in a way that ‘increased the risk of accidental injury’.

The CQC report said suitable safety latches have since been fitted to all of the windows to enable them to be safely opened.

The report added that the registered provider of the home, Barnby Gate Ltd, was making weekly checks to make sure the latches ensured the windows could be opened safely.



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More