Grantham church celebrates its 175th anniversary
This year marks the 175th anniversary of the opening of ChristChurch in Grantham and celebrations have already begun, with plenty of tea and cake at the weekend.
The event, held on Saturday, filled the hall at ChristChurch, Finkin Street, raising more than £200 for the ChristChurch Community Project.
A large congregation, including visitors, joined in worship on Sunday, followed by even more cakes, made especially by Jean Breckenridge and Pauline Lambley. They were cut by Doris Scoffield, one of the congregation who has worshiped the longest in the church.
The service itself was led by the minister, the Rev Jane Campbell, who spoke of the situation when the Wesleyan Church was opened in 1841, a time when the railway had yet to be built and the town’s population was a mere 9,000.
The church is now home to ChristChurch, a local ecumenical partnership of the Methodist and United Reformed churches.
The ChristChurch Community Project is enabling improvements to the buildings for the use of the public and the church congregation.
Phase one has provided an upgraded kitchen, modern toilets and disabled facilities. In addition, the halls have benefited from redecoration, new storage, blinds and flooring.
Permission has been received for phase two of the project which will allow safe and easy access to the main entrance of the church building for people with limited mobility.