Grantham Civic Society Column: History of fair traces back to 1484
The older picture of the mid-Lent fair was painted about 1820, probably by Manuel Immanuel.
The photograph is of the same view in 2015.
The history of the fair can be traced back to the charter of 1484 when Richard III granted Grantham the right to hold a market and two fairs within the borough.
The older illustration shows acrobats, toy stalls, local produce stalls, artists selling their work and plays taking place.
This evolved in during Victorian times into roundabouts and rides driven by steam engines, as well as animal attractions.
The fair remains popular with many rides, food stalls and stalls with games for children.