Grantham Civic Society Column: The many faces of 6 Vine Street
Number 6 Vine Street is now occupied by Needles and Pins dressmaking shop.
In 1841, 1851 and 1861, the shop and house was occupied by William Copson a hat maker, his wife, son James, also a hat maker, and daughter Mary a dressmaker. In 1866 there was a fire at the property. The family escaped on to the roof, but a dog and her puppies were killed. The property was unfortunately uninsured.
Between 1871 and 1881, Thomas Vipond, a photographic artist, and his wife and family lived there. By 1891 Herbert Bell, a cabinet maker and undertaker, occupied the property, with his sister Elizabeth Christian, an upholsterer. Next door at number 7, William Read a job dyer and cleaner had taken over the building.
In 1901, the shop was occupied by Elizabeth Christian who ran her upholstery business from the shop. She lived there with her niece Fanny Bell, who worked in a local confectioner’s shop. Several other people also lived with them, including professional golfers, Alfred D Moulden, and his younger brother George. In 1911, the shop and living accommodation was occupied by Mrs Christian’s brother, Herbert Winter Bell, a cabinet maker and upholsterer, and his family. Eventually William Read took over both properties, and his name can still be seen painted on the brickwork. His clothes press is still in the basement, because it was too large to remove.