Grantham Clean and Green: Help binmen by following waste rules
Residents are asked to refresh their memories on bin collection guidelines in the district.
As part of the Journal’s ‘Grantham Clean and Green’ partnership with South Kesteven District Council, we are urging households to help collections operate smoothly by following these rules:
* Place bins out for collection at the edge of a property closest to the public highway by 7.30am on the day of collection.
* Bin lids must be closed, otherwise the vehicle’s lifting equipment can damage them.
* Place bins with handles facing outwards to help binmen collect quicker and reduce traffic delays.
* Ensure bins are not too heavy by not overloading.
* The council cannot take any extra waste left out with black bins onhousehold waste collection days.
* Make sure only recyclable materials are placed in your silver bin or clear bags, otherwise it will not be collected. Find the list at www.southkesteven.gov.uk/recyclinglist
* Ensure that recyclables are clean before putting them in a silver bin or clear bag. Place any shredded paper in a bag to avoid it blowing away during collection.
SKDC’s portfolio holder for healthy environment Councillor John Smith said: “Residents are excellent at helping us deliver this service and we thank them for taking the time to follow these guidelines. “Our recycling rates are good but we want them to be even better and with your help we can do this.”