Home   News   Article

Grantham court: Defendant speaks of ‘rugby scrum’ when police arrested him

Court news.
Court news.

A man guilty of an assault said it turned into a ‘rugby scrum’ when police turned up at his address.

Kym Vincent Mercer, 59, of Bridge End Road, Grantham, admitted assaulting a woman by beating at Burns Close, Grantham, on May 16. He also admitted assaulting a constable in the execution of their duty.

Prosecuting, Daniel Pietryka said Mercer lived with the victim at the time and she had said there were problems between them. She said he had been drinking a lot and he had mood swings.

Mr Pietryka said this had escalated when a neighbour came round and started talking to the victim. Mercer became verbally abusive and he pushed his victim. She called the police and he became difficult with them when they arrived.

Mr Pietryka said Mercer had swung a clenched fist and was handcuffed. He continued to be aggressive and barged into an officer, pushing him into a television by the bed.

In an interview with police, Mercer said he had drunk whiskey and coke every day with morphine to cope with his pain.

Mercer said he had pushed his victim with force during the argument. He said he could not remember much about the assault. He had said there was no attempt to hit a police officer and said it was more of a rugby tackle.

Mr Pietryka added Mercer had said there were no excuses for what had happened.

Mercer, who was unrepresented, told the court: “I did not raise my fist to him. There are little bits that do not add up and make it look poor for me. I thought I was in a rugby scrum because they hurt my spine on the bed and when they got me up there was a sharp pain, like a knife, in my back. I was in agony.”

Mercer told the magistrates he wanted to apologise for what had happened.

Magistrates read a report from the probation service.

They said they would follow the recommendations of the probation report and imposed a 12-month community order on Mercer.

As part of the order, he must take part in a rehabilitation activity over 10 days.

Magistrates also ordered him to pay compensation of £50 together with £85 costs and an £80 victim surcharge.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More