Home   News   Article

Grantham court: Drink driver had to be cut free from car he crashed

Court news
Court news

A welder who was seriously hurt in a car crash attended court in a wheelchair.

John Christopher McGrath, 31, of Long Street, Great Gonerby, admitted drink driving at Gonerby Moor on November 22 last year.

Prosecuting, Paul Wood told the court that McGrath was driving when he crashed his Ford Fiesta and was trapped behind the wheel. He had to be cut from the car by emergency services.

He later gave a reading of 135 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood. The legal limit is 80 microgrammes of alcohol.

Mr Wood said McGrath had no memory of the crash. He was driving with a front seat passenger and his car had clipped a kerb.

Defending, Julian Sheen said McGrath was on his way to a darts match at his local pub, the Recruiting Sergeant. He said because of the injuries he suffered his client could not remember what had happened.

He could not recall why he had chosen to drive to the pub, which is close to his home.

He had suffered serious injuries and had been taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham. The court was told that it could be another 18 months before he was able to walk again.

Mr Sheen said McGrath had worked as a welder in Leadenham, but was now on statutory sick pay and had effectively lost his job.

Magistrates banned McGrath from driving for 16 months, fined him £110 and ordered him to pay costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £20. He agreed to do a drink driver’s rehabilitation course, if he had recovered from his injuries in time, which will reduce his ban by 16 weeks if completed successfully.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More