Home   News   Article

Grantham court: Fight broke out after argument at boxing event

Court news
Court news

A fight broke out at a boxing match at Stoke Rochford Hall when two men were punched outside the ring.

Jamie John Fardell, 26, of Hawthorn Court, Grantham, admitted causing actual bodily harm against two men at the boxing event on July 25.

Prosecuting, Kate Hartley told the court that one of the victims said in a statement that he had called a taxi at 8.50pm to leave the event at Stoke Rochford.

He then saw an argument taking place in a field near to the boxing ring and got out of the taxi to go over and tell them to calm down.

He was then kicked to the left-hand side of his face and went down on to his knees. He got back into the taxi and was taken to Grantham Hospital, where he was given temporary stitches.

Mrs Hartley said the victim was later taken to Lincoln County Hospital where he was given six injections and six stitches in his ear. She said he was still suffering pain.

The other victim had been out with friends and family and had drunk four pints of lager.

He had said he felt “a bit merry” but was not drunk. He saw a group of people getting into taxi whom he recognised as friends of his girlfriend. He went over to see if they were all right.

Mrs Hartley said he did not remember what happened next, only that he woke up in hospital where he had stitches put in his lower lip and his top lip was glued.

He had been knocked unconscious, causing a lump at the back of his head and he was still suffering headaches.

Mrs Hartley said Fardell had seen the men being abusive to a female friend. He had admitted punching them once.

He had drunk eight pints of lager and was aware of what was happening. He later said he thought he was going to be stabbed by one of the complainants.

The court was told that Fardell was on police bail at the time and awaiting a trial on another charge.

Rob Arthur, defending, said the incident involved an argument with some females and there was no suggestion of the assaults being premeditated.

Mr Arthur said there was no weapon used and no intention to cause serious harm, and the victims were not deliberately targeted.

Mr Arthur added: “He has gone over to see what the argument was about. He believes one of the complainants intended to go for a weapon and he has struck out first.”

Mr Arthur said it was “excessive self-defence” because Fardell did not see any weapon that might be produced.

The magistrates were shown photographs of the injuries caused and decided to send the case to crown court, a date to be fixed, for sentencing.

Fardell was granted bail on condition he did not make contact with five named people.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More