Home   News   Article

Grantham court: Husband sent wife offensive messages

Court news
Court news

An estranged husband sent his wife offensive emails after he moved out of the house and into an annex in the garden.

Daniel James Jones, 37, of Beck Gardens, Grantham, admitted harassment without violence between November 10 and December 11 at an address in Great Gonerby.

Prosecuting, Marie Stace said the couple had been in a relationship for 10 years and they had two children. The relationship ended in September and Jones moved into an annex of the property.

On December 6, Jones’ wife went out, asking a lodger not to lock the front door. When she returned she noticed the Christmas tree was knocked over on to the floor and a wall and skirting board had been damaged in the bedroom. The bed had been flipped over.

She saw Jones outside the house and they argued. She called the police.

Miss Stace said that Jones had sent his wife 23 texts on November 11, most of them offensive. On December 10, she called the police again because he was outside shouting, but had gone by the time officers arrived.

The victim went to the police with evidence of a number of offensive emails that had also been sent to her.

Jones told officers he had entered the house to get a phone charger. He flipped the bed over in anger and accidentally knocked over the Christmas tree. He said he was unaware of any damage to the wall, but accepted they had argued outside. He said he had contacted her afterwards and was angry and venting his frustration. He admitted sending the emails and texts. He also said he had been physically and verbally abused by his wife.

Stuart Wild, defending, said since Jones’ arrest on December 11 there had been no repeat of the incidents and he had been able to contact his two children. He had stayed near home for the sake of the children.

Mr Wild said Jones’ actions had resulted from “some outside interference from another female”. He said Jones “lost his rag” and had also alluded to some form of harassment towards him. Mr Wild said this was the first time that Jones had come to the attention of the police.

Magistrates ordered a pre-sentence report and adjourned the case to February 1. Jones was granted bail on condition he did not contact the victim or go to her address.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More