A family is relieved to have had work done on their rented home after they reported what they thought was a gas leak over a year ago.
Chantelle and Shane Cattermole reported a gas-like smell in their kitchen soon after they moved into their Keats Avenue home towards the end of last year.
Mrs Cattermole said that after the smell got stronger and stronger she called out Environmental Health, who could not locate a problem.
She said that a gas engineer later said there was a small leak but could not find it, before the landlord called out another engineer who said he could find nothing.
Last week Mrs Cattermole called out another engineer and he shut down the gas after discovering a leak.
She said: “I think the kids have been poorly because of it with stomach upsets and headaches.”
Mrs Cattermole was grateful to letting agents Wisemove who provided them with electric heaters and a cooker while the gas was turned off.
Carl Vickers, whose father owns the property, said that as soon as the smell was originally reported to him he called an engineer out straight away. The engineer reported no leak.
Mr Vickers said when the leak was reported last week engineers were called again who said it would be Wednesday before they could do the work to repair the leak. The work was completed yesterday.
A spokesman for Wisemove said: “Wisemove take tenant safety and comfort very seriously and we always act immediately upon any report of possible gas leaks. Unfortunately several investigations by both environmental health officers and gas engineers failed to detect any gas leak in the vicinity of the kitchen cupboard over the last year including a gas safety check carried out in January of this year. As soon as we were notified that a leak had been identified we provided alternative heating and cooking provisions for Miss Cattermole and also arranged for the leak to be dealt with as soon as is practically possible. We are available to offer assistance to Miss Cattermole in any way we can in the future.”
Mrs Cattermole said she was “very happy” that the work had been done. She added: “I am really grateful that it has all been sorted out.”