A 19-year-old Grantham businesswoman is encouraging other young entrepreneurs in the area to take part in a Dragons’ Den style competition, with the chance to win a range of prizes to boost their business.
Lauren Farrow of Horse Mall has decided to launch the competition inspired by the popular TV show.
She explains: “There are so many talented and imaginative young people in our town. To me, it just seems silly to not allow this talent to potentially be used for something great.
“I know that if I had an idea, that I wanted to make a go of, and had no platform to pursue it from, I would be hugely disappointed. I therefore don’t want any young business-minded person to feel this, hence why I am heading this competition.”
Lauren has contacted schools and colleges in the area to encourage their studets to get involved. Entrants must be aged between 16 and 22 at the time of the competition.
The Grantham Dragons are looking for new and exciting business ideas presented in pitches by either individuals or teams of up to four members.
The pitches to the panel can be up to 10 minutes long, and participants can also use video, posters, leaflets or any other manner they think of to present their idea.
Among the prizes the winner will receive, is a mentoring session specialising in stock and importing goods with young entrepreneur Tom Marshall, a domain name of the winner’s choice, subject to availability, and a website designed specifically for them, with a Content Management System, including an eCommerce one if appropriate.
There will also be ongoing support for their website, social media, design of their corporate look or brand, insurance advice, plus 500 business cards.
To receive and submit an entry form, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Entry forms must be submitted either by email or post to 9 Vetnor Avenue, Grantham, Lincolnshire, NG31 7EA by July 3.
Grantham does Young Dragons’ Den decision dates:
* July 3 - Deadline of entry form submission by post or email
* July 4 to 7 - Shortlist of 10 picked
* July 8 - Shortlist of 10 announced
* July 13 to 16 - Shortlist will pitch to a small panel
* July 17 - Final three announced
* July 21 - Final three pitches to the Judges and Grantham Business Club members at the Eden House Hotel. At 5.30pm the winner will be announced.
In their application entrants will be asked to define which of the following categories their idea fits into:
* Something that could benefit education
* Something that could improve healthcare
* Something that could be implemented, or used, that could help Grantham