Then and Now with Grantham Civic Society looking at Harrow Street
Ruth Crooks, of Grantham Civic Society, discussed Harrow Street in Grantham.
In October 1890 freehold properties on Harrow Street were sold at the Town Hall.
Numbers 35 and 36 Harrow Street were sold for £385 and 37 and 38 sold for £355. The advert in the Grantham Journal stated ‘LOT 2. – All those TWO MESSUAGES or DWELLING-HOUSES, with Yards, Gardens, and Out-buildings adjoining, being Nos. 35 and 36 HARROW STREET, Grantham; bounded on the east by Harrow Street, on the south by property of the Trustees of the Earl of Dysart, and on the south by Lot 3, and in the occupations of Mr George Stevenson and Mrs. Sarah Ann Summerby’. LOT 3.- Was similar except it was bounded ‘on the north by the property of Mr Charles Harrabin, and in the occupation of Mr Charles Eldred and Mr William Lavis.’
By the time of the 1911 census there were 40 houses on Harrow Street, ranging in size from ones with four rooms to the largest at seven rooms. The houses on the east side of the street backed onto the River Witham.
On the corner of the street joining Oxford Street was a large malthouse. Many of the men living there either worked at Hornsby’s or on the railways.
The houses were damaged during the war and now, with the exception of one original building, have been replaced by modern houses and flats.