Home   News   Article

Heater ‘dangers’ horrify Grantham family




Lee Holmes and Natasha Lindsay with their young children.
Lee Holmes and Natasha Lindsay with their young children.

A couple with four young children are furious after it took eight visits by workmen to fit an emergency heater when their boiler was condemned.

Natasha Lindsay and fiance Lee Holmes, of Ivatt Court, Grantham, were horrified to see water leaking from the newly installed immersion heater last Wednesday. The gas had been disconnected on Tuesday due to a suspected carbon monoxide leak while Miss Lindsay was in hospital undergoing checks to see if she had gas poisoning.

The leaking immersion heater.
The leaking immersion heater.

Once the immersion heater was fitted on Thursday by district council contractor Liberty Gas, Miss Lindsay said: “I went upstairs to find a plastic shoe cover covering our smoke alarm at the top of the stairs, while leaving the immersion heater plugged into an inadequate extension lead which was not only trailing across the top of the stairs and landing, it was wedged between the immersion heater and wall with exposed wires coming out of the plug. And it was leaking!”

The family says that following numerous other visits by Liberty Gas workmen they still had problems with leaking heaters and wire connections, leaving them with less than 36 hours of hot water in almost six days.

Finally, on Tuesday a council employee fitted an immersion heater so the family had hot water. Miss Lindsay added: “I do not want Liberty Gas thinking they can get away with leaving children in danger. They need to look at their policies and procedures.”

A South Kesteven District Council spokesman said: “Liberty Gas engineers are working as quickly as possible to fix the problem that has been identified with the property’s boiler and a replacement will be fitted.

“Hot water is now running but we apologise to the tenants for the inconvenience of heating currently being unavailable.

“Engineers will inspect the property’s carbon monoxide detector and replace it if necessary.”

Yesterday (Thursday), council workmen installed a new boiler and a new carbon monoxide monitor.



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More