Grantham High Street restaurant Tudors closes
A restaurant on Grantham's High Street has closed down.
Tudors Restaurant and Wine Bar, formerly called Catlins, has shut.
Restaurant owner Amy Mcnamara bought the lease on the building about five years ago when it was Catlins. She decided to modernise it and change its name to Tudors in 2017. At the time she told the Journal: "We will still be selling coffee and cake downstairs with the option to take away, just as we do now, and we will continue to sell a wide range of home cooked food from our restaurant upstairs.
"Although it was a big decision to change the name, we’ve made sure the new name is still in keeping with the tone of the building."
A regular at the restaurant, Paul Lewis told the Journal "it was a really sad day" when the business closed. He said: "They went above and beyond what most restaurants will do for you. I don't think they had enough customers overall. But there were plenty of regulars. Amy would always make you feel welcome. It was a family-run place with the chef Ricardo and their two children.
"All the regular customers would like to thank them."
The building was erected in 1560 and used by Charles Hamilton, a captain in Oliver Cromwell’s army during the civil war. His halberd – a weapon combining a spear and an axe – was discovered hidden behind panelling in 1890.
In 1740, the building was the birthplace of the world-famous Grantham Gingerbread. According to folklore, baker William Egglestone chanced upon the recipe by mistake when he accidentally mistook one ingredient for another. The result was a delicate white biscuit which soon became a bestseller.
In 1962, Harry and Sheila Hallam bought the building, which by then was called Catlins. The business remained in the ownership of Sheila after Harry’s death in 1989 and Adrian Moore became involved when he married Sheila in 1993. Adrian, who spent his career as an estate agent in Grantham, found tenants to take on the property in 1998 and the Catlins name continued.