It looks like 2015 will be a riotous year for the popular Grantham band Monochrome Empire, who are launching their first EP this week.
The indie punk group formed of five King’s School students recorded their EP titled ‘Pacifist Riot’ at Wisbech’s N/A Studio in January, and they are all set to launch it this Thursday at Chameleon Music Bar.
As well as their first single ‘Instincts’ which has already earned airtime on BBC Radio Nottingham, it includes four more original tracks by the 16 and 17-year-olds.
Inspired by both British indie classics and American punk rock, Monochrome Empire’s music has a fresh edge and catchy riffs that you will be singing back to them at their gigs and humming all the way home.
Singer Laurie Rowland, guitarists Matt Drinkwater, Daniel Bush and Will Jakes, and drummer George Topham are preparing to play live at several events this year, starting with tonight’s LOV Fest at the Guildhall.
They are fitting all this around the usual sixth form commitments of A-level studies and driving lessons - with a set at the Glastonbudget festival in Wymeswold on May 22-24 among the highlights this year.
Asked about their choice of title for the EP, they explained: “Pacifist Riot is about the frustration that ordinary young people often feel as a result of the pressure that they are under from many different directions - their limited ability to control their own destiny and their desire to rebel against these.”
This sense of rebellion is at the core of track ‘Revolt Revolt’, with its heavy beat and playful lyrics, elements which are to be heard in all of their tracks, particularly in the powerful ‘Hear Me Now’.
Pacifist Riot is available to buy on CD for £5 at East Midlands Sound and Lighting in The Old Malt House, off Springfield Road, and at Simmonds Music on Westgate.
Monochrome Empire’s recent show at Barrowby’s Memorial Hall is available to view via YouTube (see above), while you can also listen to a selection of their tracks on Soundcloud at https://soundcloud.com/monochrome_empire
They also plan to play other venues in and around Grantham, with a list of confirmed gigs below and updates of future shows available at www.facebook.com/MonochromeEmpire
* Tuesday, March 31 - LOV FEST, Guildhall Arts Centre, Grantham
* Thursday, April 2 - Chameleon Music Bar & Steak House, 20A High Street, Grantham NG31 6PH (U18s welcome)
* Saturday, April 11 - Rumours, 11 Market Place, Grantham NG31 6LJ (U18s welcome)
* Saturday, April 18 - Harby Village Hall, School Lane, Harby, Leicestershire LE14 4BZ (band on stage from 2100)
* Saturday, May 23 - Glastonbudget, Turnpost Farm, East Road, Wymeswold, Leicestershire LE12 6ST (the event runs from Friday to Sunday)
* Saturday, May 27 - Knipfest, Belvoir Cricket Ground, Knipton Lane, Knipton, Leicestershire
* Saturday, July 4 - Hose Fest, Hose Village Hall, Harby Lane, Hose, Leicestershire LE14 4JR