‘Keep looking if you’re cooking’ warns Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue following Grantham fire
A Grantham resident needed Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue’s help on Monday when a fire started in his kitchen after he left his lamb chops cooking unattended.
Firefighters were called to Ninth Avenue at around 8.10pm when the oven – and four lamb chops – caught fire.
Luckily, the fire was put out quickly and no one was hurt – but the situation could have been a lot worse, says Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue.
Across the county, there were four other house fires in the last week, all caused by leaving cooking unattended. One was in Denton Avenue, Grantham. Firefighters were called at around 2.30pm on Sunday to reports of an oven fire. There was light smoke damage and oxygen was given to the occupier.
Further incidents were elsewhere in the county. One was in Lincoln where there was damage in the kitchen caused by a chip pan left unattended. In the second, food left cooking in a microwave caused a minor fire in Sleaford, while the third caused severe fire damage to a kitchen and smoke damage throughout the property after a chip pan was left unattended. Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue attended these incidents and there were no major injuries.
Based on these incidents, the fire service is issuing a warning to residents to keep looking at their cooking.
Steve Screaton, deputy community safety manager, said: “I know it sounds simple, but please, when you are cooking food, stay with it. If the phone rings, the kids want to play, or there is someone at the door, take the time to turn everything off before you leave the kitchen.
“Many people think it’s harmless but it’s a really serious issue. People are putting their lives, the lives of their loved ones, and their homes at risk. It only takes seconds for a fire to start so don’t take the chance.
“To encourage people to be more vigilant whilst preparing their meals, we’ve put together a top 5 list of things you can do in the kitchen whilst you’re waiting for your food to cook.”
So, with one eye on the cooker/hob, Linconlshire Fire and Rescue has come up with a top five things to do while keeping an eye on cooking in the kitchen. They are:
* Check Facebook or snapchat your friends
* Do 20 squats
* Whip up a fabulous dessert
* Do a Sudoku puzzle or a crossword
* See how many Maltesers you can throw and catch in your mouth in one minute – the Guinness world record is 76