LED signs will warn if lorries too high when approaching Grantham bridges
Talks are underway to try and resolve the growing issue of high lorries striking low railway bridges in Grantham.
Lincolnshire County Council and Network Rail are working together to discuss ways to improve signage on the approaches to the town’s three railway bridges in a bid to reduce the number of incidents.
In last week’s Journal we reported that, following the latest incident where a lorry had struck Barrowby Road bridge, Network Rail was ‘working with Lincolnshire County Council to find a way of reducing the frequency of vehicles striking these bridges’.
Now this week the county council has confirmed it is in discussions with the rail company.
Mark Heaton, area highways manager, said: “We’re currently in discussions with Network Rail to agree the location of approximately seven LED reactive warning signs on approaches to all low railway bridges in Grantham.
“The lights would flash a warning if lorries approached that were over the safe height to get under the bridge. We would expect Network Rail to meet all costs for the purchase and installation of these signs.
“We hope to install them far enough away from the bridges to enable drivers to turn round and seek an alternative route if they need to.”
With 27 incidents of lorries striking railway bridges in the town over the past eight months, a rate of more than one incident a fortnight, it has become a major issue for the town.
As reported in last week’s Journal, the worst affected has been the Barrowby Road bridge, which has been struck 14 times since November 1.
The rail bridge on Harlaxton Road has been hit 10 times in the same period and Springfield Road bridge has been struck on three occasions.
l Two boxes of plant seedlings that fell off the lorry that struck Barrowby Road railway bridge last Monday are still littering the side of the road.
Cornwall-based haulage company Conway Bailey Transport, which had sub-contracted the load to another haulage firm, told the Journal last week that it accepted responsibility for removal of the boxes and South Kesteven District Council has said it was treating the matter as fly-tipping.