Home   News   Article

‘Motorists saved my son’s life’ after horrific accident on A1 near Grantham

Christopher Watmore
Christopher Watmore

A mother has told how two men saved her son’s life after his car overturned in an horrific crash on the A1.

Linda Watmore described to the Journal how her son Christopher’s car overturned on the morning of February 25 at Marston on the northbound carriageway. Mr Watmore, 32, was left suspended by his seatbelt upside down, choking on blood from a broken nose.

Another driver, Lee Broadbent, and a lorry driver smashed their way into his car and gave him first aid before the emergency services arrived. The car had leaked petrol over the road. Mr Watmore was then airlifted to the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham where he is still being treated after breaking his sternum, shoulder, and ribs. He also suffered a collapsed lung.

Mrs Watmore, of Brittain Drive, Grantham, said her son had swerved out of the way of a lorry as it pulled out in front of him. She said: “There were two people that day who literally saved my son’s life. They removed my son’s seatbelt and got him out. Lee said he would not have been able to live with himself if he had done nothing about it.”

Mrs Watmore added: “Chris lost consciousness. He had difficulty breathing. He thought he was drowning from the blood from his broken nose.”

Christopher, who lives with his parents and sister in Brittain Drive, is still having fluid drained from his lungs and his recovery has been complicated by his asthma and eczema.

Mrs Watmore said: “We thought at one point they might have to put him in a induced coma, but they have given him strong painkillers. I don’t think his injuries are life-threatening.

“He is very, very lucky. If those men had not done what they did we would have been arranging Chris’s funeral. He would have drowned in his own blood because of his broken nose and chest injuries.”

Mr Broadbent was driving on the southbound carriageway when he saw Mr Watmore’s overturned Vauxhall Meriva. When he got to Mr Watmore’s car he was joined by the lorry driver and they managed to get him into a comfortable position and clear his airways.

Mr Watmore was driving to work in Newark that morning. He works in technical support at the Barcode Warehouse where he has been for just under a year. The former Central School pupil previously worked at Curry’s in Dysart Road, Grantham.

Mrs Watmore said the family was grateful to the two drivers for their help and also to all the emergency workers who attended the accident and staff at the hospital. She said Christopher would meet up with Lee to thank him face to face once he had left hospital.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More