Mr Bernard Millhouse, of Avery Lodge Care Home, Grantham, has died there. He was 98.
He was born in Grantham, where he lived and worked all his life.
In 1931 he joined the firm of Goldings, which was founded by his father, Louis F. Millhouse, in conjunction with Mr Golding, in 1900. At the age of 23 he was accepted by the Incorporated Society of Valuers and Auctioneers and became a familiar figure on his rostrum in Grantham Open Market, held for many years in Wide Westgate.
He became a partner in the firm in 1951 and developed the property and building society side of the firm. Regular sales of furniture and household goods were also held in the Old Wharf Road salesrooms. He retired from Goldings in 1987, after 55 years of professional service.
At the beginning of the Second World War he was in a reserved occupation but was called up in 1941. Although he wanted to join the Royal Air Force, he was assigned to the Fire Service because of his pre-war, part-time experience as a voluntary fireman. He eventually became the mobilising officer of C Division of Lincolnshire, which covered about half of the county.
He was elected to the membership of The Rotary Club of Grantham in 1959 and remained a member until his death. He was soon recruited to the District Vocational Service Committee and was the treasurer of his own club for many years. During his time as president through his Community Service Committee, he established the League of Friends of Grantham Hospital and remained involved with the beginning of the Rotary Swimarathon and was still helping with this event at the swimming pool until two years ago.
With his wife, Connie, he spent many happy hours enjoying caravanning with the International Caravanning Fellowship of Rotarians.
Throughout his long life he belonged to many other organisations in Grantham. As a young man he was secretary of the local Photographic Club and also treasurer of Grantham Swimming Club. Grantham and District Chrysanthemum and Dahlia Society was at one time a big part of his life as he was the secretary and grew chrysanthemums to show. Grantham Flower Club was formed at this time with a lot of help from him and he supported and helped it until recently.
He spent the last 15 months of his life being cared for at Avery Lodge.
Canon Christopher Andrews conducted the funeral service at St John’s Church, Manthorpe. Cremation followed in Grantham.
Family mourners included: Christine and Richard Adcock, Mavis Brannan, Rosy Wire, Nigel Tinsley, Rachael and Phil Hill, Thomas Wire, Sasha Wire, Benjamin Hill, Matthew Hill and Jane Kennedy.
Other mourners included: Ray and Pat Beale, Stephen Short, Geoff and Jill Turner, Keith Hilley, Clive and Mollie Lunn, Dorothy Nix, June Proctor, Mrs C. Braunton, Tony Snarey, Mr and Mrs Condliffe-Turner, Colin Young, Alister Holmes, Peter and Anne Lawson, Margaret Matthews, Carol Pigott, Tim Hall, Arthur Bell, Peter Townsend, Peter Berry, Mrs Keys, Terry and Wendy Baker, Chris Marshall, David Lawrence, Kerry Angeloni, Rosemary Coleman, Bob and mary Brownlow, Mr and Mrs Robin Hall, Ivan Birch, Jim and Roma Farley, Sheila Holland, Sue Singleton, Patricia Shipley, Sue and Frank Whiting, John and Brenda Asher, Adrian Moore, Michael and Celia Adcock, Robin and Jane Sentance, Mrs J. Green, Irvin Metcalfe, Ian and Frances Shaw, Elsie Rowley, John Brentnall, Sarah Morris, Mike and Janice Charity, Mr and Mrs Hill, Neville Thompson, Jim and Margaret Lawson and family, Helen Morris, Maria Dalton, Gill Mahoney, John and Jane Morrisey, Rosemary Story, Humphrey Platts, Iris Hall, Susan Watkin, Mr and Mrs B. Pashley, Paul West, Mr Wuidart, Margaret Quidart, J. Payne, David Close, Rosemary Caunt, Richard Pert, Rob Hearmon, Sharni Brightmore, Margaret Dunk, Paul Wilson, Sue Grindal, Rodney Keightley, Mr and Mrs R. Stevens, Roy Ingamells, Beryl and Peter Craik, and Joanne Craik.
Funeral arrangements were by Robert Holland, St Catherine’s Road, Grantham.
Donations were received for Kidney Research UK.