A WOMAN was left in shock when a radiator fell off her wall and nearly hit her six-week-old baby, who was sleeping nearby.
Hayley Broadbent, of New Beacon Road, Grantham, was in the kitchen with her husband Kyle when she heard a loud bang.
She said: “I put Junior-Kyle in his car seat by the radiator because he was still asleep. I heard a loud bang, I came through and the radiator had fallen. It just hit the top of his travel seat.
“If he had been a bit further back my six-week-old baby would have been crushed.”
The radiator had fallen on Hayley’s daughter’s new bike and crushed the stabilisers.
Just a couple of months earlier Hayley had noticed the radiator leaning away from the wall of her council flat.
She had immediately contacted South Kesteven and told them about the problem and staff were sent to make repairs.
She said: “They put up a bit of board on the wall and then fixed the radiator to it. They told me that should do the job.
“If it had just fallen off because the wall was weak ok but it was shoddy workmanship. If they had done the job in the first place nothing would have happened.
“I was so angry and just kept thinking if he had been slightly further back it would have crushed him.”
A council spokesman said: “We’re sorry to hear about this incident, which we are currently investigating. Having discussed it with the tenant, we have already started work to refix the radiator.
“If the outcome of the investigation indicates that the work carried out previously was below our usual high standards, we will make good any related damage including replacing the damaged bike.